Shu-Cheng Kuo has just become the youngest village chief in Taiwan. The 25-year-old is quickly faced with rigid expectations, banal assignments and demanding elderly citizens. The self-identified “rebellious leftist” encounters conflict every step of the way as he tries to shake up village life, from free lanterns at Lantern Festival to the construction of the Village Activity Center.
Is this fresh college graduate really cut out to be village chief? Is he trying to reform a pedantic political system, or merely launch his political career? We may not know the answer, but it’s clear the four-year term won’t be easy for Kuo.
Awards & Screenings
- Taiwan Public Television Short Documentary Grant
- DMZ Docs Development Fund
- CNEX Chinese Documentary Forum – Audience Choice Award
- New Taipei City Documentary Awards
- Golden Harvest Awards – Nominated for Best Documentary Short